A Day at Ephesus
(Prices are per person and in USD)
Also, please note that an additional $100 charge (per vehicle, not per person) will apply if the tour starts and/or ends in Izmir.
Included sites: the city of Ephesus: the Sacred Way, the Temple of Hadrian, the Library of Celsus, the Amphitheater and the newly-excavated Terrace Houses
Ephesus, one of the world's best preserved ancient cities, has attracted millions of visitors from across the globe. We will walk along the Sacred Way and see the Odeion, the Temple of Hadrian (a Corinthian-style building with the head of Medusa), as well as the impressive Celsus Library. We'll also pay a visit to the immense Grand Theater which held around 25,000 spectators. Finally, we will visit the recently-opened villas, known as the Terrace Houses, which will give you a clear image of how wealthy Ephesians lived – they had modern plumbing and hot water!
Like our other tours, the Day at Ephesus is fully customizable. Your cruise ship's scheduled dock may actually allow for a full day's worth of sightseeing. If this is the case, and you wish to extend this progeram, please let us know and we will create a program to suit your preferences, time frame, and budget.
Some other sites of interest you might consider include:
- The Ephesus Archeology Museum: almost all of the pieces on exhibit come directly from Ephesus, the most spectacular being the two life-size statutes of Artemis Ephesia, both of which date from the mid-Roman Imperial era.
- The House of the Virgin Mary: built on the foundation of the house where the Virgin Mary is believed to have lived in the last years of her life with St. John the Baptist.
- The Basilica of St. John: A basilica commissioned by the Byzantine Emperor Justinian, the impressive ruins of of this structure are still visible.
- The old Greek village of Sirince: a lovely hillside town where you can experience true local Aegean village life and also sample its famous locally-made fruit wine.
- Sultankoy: here, we’ll learn about local rug-making proceses which include silk extraction, dyeing and weaving. Then, we will break for a fresh and organic al fresco lunch using ingredients from Sultankoy’s own farm and orchards.
This private tour includes: